Thursday, October 13, 2011

Roller Disco, Paul McCartney's house and papers galore

It's been a while since I've blogged with annoying papers in the way. They actually make us do work here...sometimes.

Here is a bit of a recap of the past 10 days...

Monday: I worked the late shift at NBC and was in the newsroom when the Amanda Knox verdict was read. She won the appeal case and was let free which is a big deal. The reporters and producers were freaking out prior to the verdict, it was actually hilarious. The phones were ringing off the hook and people were actually running around. Very cool experience.

Tuesday: Good day! Went to lunch in the Parliament offices with one of the Parliament interns. They give you intense photo ID badges and you basically go through airport security prior to entering... They confiscated Zack's whistle for an hour. A professional stage designer talked to our theatre class, and I saw the production of The Veil at the National Theatre that night. It was a little spooky but not too great. Afterwards, Allie and I hit up The Mulberry Bush and Princess of Whales, two of my favorite pubs I have decided. We had an excellent life chat for a few hours and Princess of Whales is super close and open until midnight which is ideal. Most pubs close at 11pm which has been hard for us to get used to considering a lot of college students don't go out until 10 or 11 in the states.

Wednesday: Odd jobs at NBC, finished the night off with gratuitous amounts of champagne and the movie Brink (old school Disney channel original movie). Can't complain!

Thursday: I tried to take a picture of the white board after my theology class for fun but couldn't quite do so inconspicuously. The entire board was full of illegible scribbles. Classic theology. Also, Allison's parents were in town for the week so we went out to a delicious dinner with them at this restaurant on South Bank! We all ordered cocktails and I drank a cosmopolitan and felt like one of the girls from Sex and the City.

Friday: I caught up on life, bought groceries, cooked a nice dinner, did laundry, etc. Gotta be a real person sometimes. Went to Ye Olde Chesire Cheese and Princess of Whales with the boys on Friday night. The pub scene seriously does not get old.

Saturday: Jamie, one of our rectors, took a bunch of us to a rugby game! We took the tube all the way to Richmond, which was about an hour away, and enjoyed some classic English rugby. Jamie helped explain the rules to us and he got super into it which was funny to watch. I kinda sorta understand rugby now. The thighs on these men were unbelievable... some were bigger than my whole body I swear. Rugby is officially the dirtiest, manliest, most aggressive sport I have ever seen. Multiple injuries throughout the game. And blood. After the game we headed home and prepared for a fun night. The boys cooked up a feast and we decided on the London Roller Disco for the night. Ideal decision. I finally got to wear clothes I am used to wearing out at ND (for instance, neon shirts, backwards hats, fanny packs, etc.). We all dressed up ridiculous and fit in perfectly. There were people in full disco costumes, afros, tutus and overall brightly colored things. It is basically a club on roller skates. They played 70s and 80s hits and we danced/skated for the night. There were a select few wipe outs but everyone survived the skating fiasco. For extremely drunk people the roller disco is definitely a hazard, I must say. I definitely would be down to go back there again sometime, with a new and awesome outfit of course.

Roller Disco, whaddup neon
Sunday: Wrote 2 of my 4 papers I had due this week. Lame.

Monday: Awesome day at work! I went out on a live shoot in front of Paul McCartney's house for the Today Show. He just got married and we were reporting on the wedding the night before. There were paparazzi all outside his house and a bunch of cute older men holding little point-and-shoot cameras just hoping to get a glimpse of the legend. He didn't ever come out, but the shoot was awesome. He lives in a ritzy area in northern London. Michele Kosinski was on the scene (the main London NBC correspondent) for the live shot. (For the full story on that experience, ask me personally. It was quite a hoot). I was holding the lighting scaffolding for the shoot, casual intern job, standing one foot away from our reporter. I was nearly on the Today Show... NEARLY. It is so funny to me since I remember watching the Today Show in high school and dreaming to work there one day, and on Monday I literally WAS working for the Today Show. So cool! After work I scoped out a new, giant grocery store on a search for margarita mix (mission accomplished) and navigated the tube home from work. I was literally all over London on Monday and really felt like a true Londoner for one of the first times. I am learning the art of assimilation!

NBC shoot
Tuesday: Went to classes and saw a performance of No Naughty Bits at the Hampstead Theatre. It was a Monty Python-esque thing so it was pretty funny and had an interesting message on TV censorship so I enjoyed it. We were also in the third row which was really neat.

I am now done with this intense week of school and Rome, Paris and Amsterdam await! My next blog post should be epic to say the least. Fall break is certainly going to be a memorable one. I cannot believe my semester here is halfway over. I knew it was going to go fast, but not this fast. There are so many things I still want and need to do while I'm over here, it worries me that I won't be able to get to them all in 4 months! That's the beauty of London. Even if I lived here forever, I still wouldn't be able to see all that is worth seeing.

Things to look forward to:
-FALL BREAK! Rome, Paris, Amsterdam
-Booze Cruise in London with many visitors
-Barcelona for quad reunion!
-Prague, Czech Republic
-My family coming the week of Thanksgiving!
-Acting in the Globe Theatre
-Playing frisbee with the UK women’s team
-Lion King and other musicals
-More NBC
-More weekly theatre
-More bozo weekends!
-MORE LONDON! I'm never leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment